Thursday, May 22, 2008

Blah

Let me start by saying "my bad" for the comment about <3 being for 13-17 y.o.'s. I was really just going off what I read on urban dictionary. That and hearing Kim say her 13 year old cousin and her friends use that like it's going out of style. Sorry ladies and gents, I did not mean to offend, I just didn't have enough info.

I also want to thank everyone for their feedback on my XT question. I figured that would be the case (that I'd need to XT instead of just running). I just needed confirmation from people who know what they're doing. :)

The past week has been pretty lackluster running-wise. After my last entry I did another 3 miles, with plans of doing at least 9 more between a 3 miler and another long run of 6. That did not happen. Instead, I spent time with Dave and went to Renaissance Fest on Sunday with some friends. It was a fantastic opportunity for people watching. I didn't realize I'd see so many elf ears...Anyway, we drank yards of beer, ate deep fried Snickers (WOW), threw ninja stars, and then came back to the house to grill some burgers and dogs, throw horseshoes...and drink more beer. All in all it was a very productive day except for the whole running thing.

I've run twice so far this week: Monday I did a workout found in one of my running books that combines running with strength training exercises. It went something like this:
Run 11 minutes
Do 10 pushups
Run 5 minutes
Do 10 crunches
Run 5 minutes
Do 10 reverse crunches
Run 10 minutes
It kicked my butt. Don't ask why because I know it looks pretty harmless. I think my problem was that instead of doing "easy" miles (like the book said), I pushed to make sure my total mileage would be 3.

Today I went to the trail near the house and ran. I think it was just under 3 miles. My iPod earbuds do NOT want to stay in my ears, especially my left ear. Does anyone else have this problem? It's driving me crazy. I came this close to throwing the friggin shuffle into the friggin river today (temper, what temper?!). Overall, the run was not good. I couldn't find my groove and I swear an infant who just learned to crawl probably could have passed me. I don't know what my deal is. I don't do well when I run outside (granted, I've only done it 2 or 3 times, but still). On top of that my shins have really been bothering me. I was browsing through a book with some stretches in it and decided to give a shin stretch a try. You get down on your knees and then slowly sit back so that your butt is resting on your calves and ankles. When you start to feel uncomfortable or in pain, you lean forward and put your hands on the floor to support yourself. I can't even do this stretch. At all. It hurts too bad the minute I lean back. Not cool.

I really need to get back into a running groove. Even though I have all the time in the world, I can't seem to get anything done. I thought "It will be so great when I'm between jobs because I will have SO much time to run and do all the things I need to do". WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. Instead, there is a terrifying pull toward the t.v., in particular the Lifetime Movie Network. It's so difficult to get motivated to do anything. I'm not sure what to do.

I hope everyone is doing well!

11 comments:

Chris said...

What if you moved your workout to the morning. Get up and go right out the door. If I don't do that, I often feel the pull to do other things, whether it is surf the net, do some work, or watch tv.

MissAllycat said...

The first thing I bought after I got my iPod was different headphones. I HATE the ones that come with an iPod!!

Amy said...

I really like ear buds that have the loop that goes around the top of your ear. They seem to stay put and they don't start to hurt the inside of my ears like the others do.
Keep on keeping on, you'll get back in the groove.

Aron said...

i think the less i have to do, the less i want to do... when i am busier i am always better with the workouts - dont know why. sometimes you just have to not give yourself an option and just go... the rest will come.

my hub has the same problem with his headphones... mine are fine but random problems like that will drive you insane!! i have had some close temper tantrums myself for super randomness :)

Anonymous said...

best running headphones ever

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=nikestore,pdp,_pdp,cid-1/gid-162399/pid-162397&re=US&co=US&la=EN

Anonymous said...

well, that didn't work. look up nike vapor in google.

Jillian said...

http://www.radioshack.com/entry.jsp?source=PE&entry=2290525


Check those out. I have the Sony version - they look identical though. I can't handle the kind that go inside your ears..they bug me so much and end up hurting after awhile.

EmLit said...

We really have so much in common--reading about your frustration with your mileage and your being drawn to the T.V. instead of the pavement is so familiar. Hang in there, I know exactly how you feel. I also have that problem with my earbuds. It is so frigging annoying--for me, it's the right one. That thing will just sort of slide out of my ear while I am sitting still. When I am running the wind blows it out, the motion blows it out, breathing blows it out, etc. I still haven't found the right pair and I can completely relate to your desire to just throw the whole thing away and not have to deal with it anymore. It can totally ruin my run if I am in an iffy mood or not feeling all that great otherwise.

Roxanne said...

Maybe you should see if you can find someone with the old iPod headphones (they used to be a little bigger). Anyway, I'm new to blogs and I found yours. Welcome to Tennessee, I hope you like it! Good luck running!!

julie said...

i can't use ipod headphones. i use the sony ones that are navy blue and wrap around the back of my ears. plus they're cheap - $10.
try to schedule time to run and stick with it. this is why before-work running is better for me- once i'm awake, out the door is easy.

Rachel said...

Yea for some reason I find that having a routine really helps with my runs. If I have a day off then I struggle to find the right spot to fit my run in. When I'm working, it's just natural to put it in after work.

The headphone issue happens to a lot of people. But luckily some very smart people have come up with some solutions. I've actually seen the Nike sport headphones at Target. Check there. You can also look for some smaller or larger ipod specially designed buds too.

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."

~Henry Ford